This soup is actually Vegan! It’s simple, delicious and healthy. It just takes a bit of prep because of soaking the beans overnight.
I apologize for the brevity of this post, all I have to say is this soup is filling and guilt free!
- 1 Tablespoon of EVOO
- 1 Cup of Carrots, diced
- 1 Cup of Celery, diced
- 1 Large Onion, diced
- 1-2 teaspoons of Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons of Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Cup 13-Bean Mix
- ¼ Cup of Pearl Barley
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 Cups of Water
- Soak 1 cup of 13 Bean Mix overnight. The next morning drain, rinse and remove any husks or stones. Store beans in the refrigerator until you’re ready to add them to the soup.
- In a Dutch oven or large stock pot heat extra virgin olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Add diced carrots, celery and onion along with 1 teaspoon of sea salt and 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper and sauté until the onions are translucent
- Add the remaining ingredients beans, barley, broth, water, bay leaves and 1 teaspoon of sea salt and 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour. Stirring occasionally.