We are continually trying to find ways to eat our favorite foods in a healthier way. A few weeks ago, I knew I had cauliflower in the refrigerator, but I wasn’t quite sure what to do with it. Cauliflower is a lot more versatile than you may think and is a great substitute for a lot of our favorite carb laden foods like mashed potatoes, gratin, rice and pizza crust!
Even though this recipe has several steps, it’s completely worth it! Especially if you’re looking for a gluten free, low carb pizza that tastes delicious and is so filling, you won’t feel like you’re missing out on anything. You can even make a couple crusts and store one in the refrigerator for a few days.
I hope you enjoy this pizza crust as much as we did!
- 1 Large Cauliflower
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ Cup Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare the cauliflower by washing it and removing all of the leaves and coring out the steam
- Cut the cauliflower into small pieces (flowerets)
- Using a food processor, ‘rice’ the cauliflower flowerets so it is all the size of short grain rice. You may have to work in small batches depending on the size of your food processor
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Pour the cauliflower onto the parchment paper and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes
- Allow the cauliflower to cool
- When cool enough to work with, pour the baked cauliflower into layered cheese cloth or a clean tea towel and squeeze out the excess moisture
- Put the drained cauliflower into a mixing bowl and mix in the remaining ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, you may use the same baking sheet and parchment paper that you previously used, if it isn’t too damp.
- Pour the cauliflower mixture onto the parchment paper, shape and press it into a circle or rectangle for your pizza pie
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- At this point your pizza crust is done and just needs to cool slightly before you add your favorite pizza ingredients.
- After you add your pizza toppings, bake this pizza at 450 degrees for about 12 minutes or until the cheese is melted.